Glenn.Wilson
Hi,

I am running sonar 3.1 and sonar-runner 1.3 on a windows 2008 server using CruiseControl.NET to call the sonar executable via the command-line and connecting to SQL Server 2008 running on the same machine. I am building a .net solution file (version 4.0) that contains approximately 200 projects, some of which are pretty large. For several days, the sonar analysis was running without any problems. Then suddenly I started seeing a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space exception. I had set the max heap size to 8GB which ought to be plenty. While running sonar analysis, I note that one particular project is taking several hours to process (it seems to be stuck at "Execute decorators..."). This project ran fine for a few days, processing in just a matter of minutes. I am using the following plugins:

sonar-csharp-gendarme-plugin-1.3.jar
sonar-csharp-squid-plugin-1.1.1.jar
sonar-csharp-stylecop-plugin-1.3.jar
sonar-pdfreport-plugin-1.3.jar
sonar-csharp-core-plugin-1.3.jar
sonar-csharp-fxcop-plugin-1.3.jar
sonar-csharp-gallio-plugin-1.3.jar

Using JStack or JMap to view the output of the Java process causes an exception stating that there is not enough storage to process this command (on a disk with 20GB of space).

Is there anything I can do to either clear the heap (restarting the sonar service did not solve this issue) or identify the rules that are causing the problems? Likewise, are there any known issues involving the above plugins that would cause this problem?

Regards,

Glenn

Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

David Racodon-2
Hi Glenn,

Could you run a Sonar analysis on this specific project only, adding the debug parameter "-X" in your command line and then send us the log?

Thank you

Regards,

David RACODON | SonarSource
Senior Consultant